Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Cress Delahanty

TitleCress Delahanty
AuthorJessamyn West
Call NumberPS3545.E8315 C29 1953
Location2nd Floor Humanities
RatingHighly Recommended
Book ReviewAs a longtime Jessamyn West fan, I was happy to revisit this old favorite when a friend raved about it upon discovering it for the first time. West imbues everything she writes with a wonderful sense of place and here she is deep in old north Orange County, where I grew up, albeit long after the period of this book. What I hadn’t recalled, though, was that this book is actually a series of short stories. They’re connected, but each stands alone. Together they tell the bigger coming-of-age story of a young girl. I think this has been marketed as a young adult title, but I’m not sure teens would be smitten. It’s a reflective voice.
Submitted ByDawn Bonker
Department or MajorSMC
StatusStaff
Chapman Emailbonker@chapman.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment